Whiting and Son - Gunner Whiting
68 High Street
During World War One, this was a pork butcher’s and poulterer’s, owned first by Mrs Clara Wilkins, then from 1915 by Valentine Wills.
Gunner John Whiting enlisted in the 119th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery in June 1915. In May 1917, his battery was subjected to gas poisoning. He was discharged in January 1918 and awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.
After being demobbed , John came to the city of Wells with his French bride, Marie. He had met her while stationed in Rouen, married her and brought her back with him. He worked as the manager of Barnes & Son, ironmonger’s and hardware merchant’s, and when the owner decided to retire, he bought the ironmongery and radio business and set up shop in July 1936 at 68, High Street. His wife did Bed and Breakfast on the premises.
Photo courtesy of Mrs Michelle Machin
Lat/Long : 51.208221, -2.648628