Harris & Harris - Lieut Berry
14 Market Place
During World War One, this was the office of Messrs Norton and Wilson Solicitors. In the photo, Norton & Wilson were at the premises just beyond the blinds on the left and next to Penniless Porch.
Lieutenant Arthur Ernest Berry worked here as a solicitor’s clerk before the war. He joined up at the first recruiting meeting held in Wells, and served first in the Somerset Light Infantry, then in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment. He was wounded three times: first on the Somme in 1915, then at Flanders, and finally in August 1917, when he was wounded and fell into a shell hole, where he lay for two days and two nights until found by a German ambulance party.
He was taken to Karlsruhe in Germany, where his leg was amputated above the knee, and he was then a prisoner of war until repatriation in December 1918, when he was 23 years of age.
Image © Wells & Mendip Museum
Lat/Long : 51.209712, -2.644790